A note from our Executive Director, Cindy Black, to a listener asking about preparing for a live stream mass.
“When sickness has prevented me from attending Mass, I do however much I can to match being there in person.
While healthy, we can do even more to participate. Here are some suggestions:
- If we follow along better having the readings in print, get them ahead of time through USCCB.org, Magnificat or marked in the Bible.
- Decide if you will use a written prayer of spiritual communion or use our own thoughts/words.
- Not eating or drinking during the Mass.
- Spend time in quiet prayer preparing for the start of Mass.
- Examining our conscience so we’re able to call to mind our sins when instructed by the priest in the Confiteor.
- Keeping the posture proper for the Mass part (standing, sitting, kneeling).
- Praying along with the prayers and giving the verbal responses.
- During the offertory, mentally gathering our sacrifices, struggles, loved ones and intentions to spiritually place on the altar with the bread and wine.
- Making an act of adoration when the priest elevates the Eucharist.
- During Communion, make a spiritual communion, asking to receive all the graces available to us through receiving Jesus—Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity.
- At the end, express gratitude and resolve not to take the gift of the Mass for granted.
Please let us know if you have other helpful ideas.”
The Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend also has some Prayers and Resources here.